This page is home to some of my finest work as a writer, editor, and photographer. Some links to writing samples are to PDF files; if you cannot open PDFs click here to download the required software, Adobe Reader.
- Step Out of the Deli Wilderness and into Milk & Honey (Dallas Observer, 2016)
- The Minor Leagues of College (Hardball Times, 2016)
- Is a Yelp Favorite Really Dallas’s Best Restaurant? (Dallas Observer, 2016)
- North Lake College VP is Investing in the Future (North Lake College, 2016)
- Performers in the Boxes: Concert-going in 18th-Century London (PDF; academic paper, 2011)
- If Ernest Hemingway Broadcast a Baseball Game (humor; Banknotes Industries, 2015)
- Music for a Wine and Pastry Tasting (CD: Gaspar Hoyos; 2014, MusicWeb)
- A Pianist Plays for All and Condescends to None (CD: James Rhodes; 2011, MusicWeb)
- Why Easy-Listening Heals No Wounds (CD: Lavinia Meijer; 2014, MusicWeb)
- Classical Music on Twitter (link to MusicWeb; 2011)
“Really a fascinating read.” – Joyce DiDonato
I am chief copy editor and fact-checker for all printed and digital publications at my employer, North Lake College. My previous experience as a copy editor, at Pearson, cannot be disclosed because high-stakes standardized tests are top-secret materials.
I was editor-in-chief and lead copy editor of the Rice Standard online magazine from September 2009 to May 2010, having filled the same roles for a print version of the magazine since early 2008. Click here for a full view of my editing process at work (PDF).
I have experience editing to AP and Chicago styles and to British English, and, for North Lake College and the Standard, created brand-new house style guides.
Click each photograph to view at original size. None of these samples have been cropped, ‘shopped, or otherwise altered.